Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 Cheer Year - Letter 11

I have no idea if my elementary age school teachers are still alive.  I suspect most are gone but would be interested in exploring if they are.  I would like just to take a blog and just mention them and their influence on my life.   Thank you Mrs. Hayes for being my kindergarten teacher.  I don't remember alot of what you taught but I remember you were kind and pretty.  We met in the basement of the Sunny Acres United Methodist Church.  We played Wizard of Oz at lunch time and Vickie Barnett was always the wicked witch.  Thank you Miss White for being my first grade teacher.  I know you must have taught me something, but the only thing I can remember about you is that you would nodd off in the middle of your sentences.  I believe now looking back that maybe you had a sleep disorder?  I also remembered that you showed favorites to Lisa and Julia and it made me sad.  Thank you Mrs. Horton for being my second grade teacher.  You used two crutches to get around and I never heard you complain.  I remember you being very kind to us and soft spoken.  Thank you Mrs. Riley for being my third grade teacher.  You reminded me of a grandmother as you seemed to love everyone.  Thank you Mrs. Baker for being my fourth grade teacher.  You loved the back rubs that I would give you.  You were married to the principal and we use to think that was big stuff.  You talked to us alot and I always liked that.  Thank you Mrs. Smith for being my fifth grade teacher.  You were so pretty.  I loved your hair and you encouraged me in the track and field days.  Thank you Mrs. Gurley for being my sixth grade teacher.  You were a kind teacher; but there were a couple of things that always bothered me.  You asked me once if I got enough food at home because I looked undernourished.  I think you did it out of concern but it really embarrassed me.  One time I was completing a test after school and you accused me of looking on someone else's paper.  I had no interested in cheating and I would have thought my good grades would have made you think otherwise.  But you kept accusing and I cried and you said I was guilty because I cried.  I want you to know that I did not cheat.  I'm sure you won't remember that incident but it does show you what impressions can be left on a 10 year old.  Other elementary highlights was getting to be the Narrator in the annual 4th grade musical.  That was such a great experience.  Also, I got to be the spelling bee representative all six years for my homeroom.  I never won the school spelling bee.   I loved elementary school at Taylor Mill elementary and attended there from 1966 through 1972.

No comments: