Thursday, January 20, 2011

2011 Cheer Year - Letter 12

Dear Jackie - (Cashier at Walmart),

Although I probably won't send you this note, I just wanted to acknowledge and thank God for you and your sweet spirit while doing your cashier job at Walmart.  I was in there last week and I was fortunate enough to get into your line.  It wasn't that you were "gabby" or "chit-chatty," it was your gentle smile and outward sweetness as you did your job.  It reminded me that the simplest things are not expensive and can easily be shared to make a small difference in the lives of people who we encounter throughout our day.

Today I was back in Walmart buying groceries for my mother-in-law.  I was in your line today not because I chose to be but because it appeared to be the shortest line.  Once again, you had that gentle smile and did your job so carefully.  Your name tag got caught on the carton of bottle waters that I bought and somehow broke away from your lanyard.  We both looked for it in vain and I told you that if it somehow turned up inside one of my bags, that I would return it right away.  I know your name tag is important as an employee.  It's how you clock in and out, at the beginning of your shift and for breaks.  My son worked for Sam's Club last year and I know how important it was to him not to lose it.

I went on to my mother-in-law's apartment and unloaded all the groceries.  Literally as I was leaving and pulling her door shut, my eyes glanced across her kitchen floor and I saw it laying upside down near the garbage.  I'm ashamed to say that although I had appreciated your kindness on both of my visits, it was only then when I turned the badge right side up did I realize your name was Jackie.  I decided on my way back to Walmart that somehow God had connected us and maybe the only thing I was called to do (in addition to returning your name tag) was to pray for you as a person.  I wondered if you are a mom?  Are you in need?  Do you have someone who loves you?  Do you even wonder if there is a God?  Do you know that God loves you?  I prayed all these things for you.  I felt very impressed to pull out the $20 bill in my wallet (which for me is very impressive because I never have cash and I do have alot of stuff to pay for this month with both my kids birthdays) but God's Spirit seem to impress on me that you needed it more than me.  I did express my thanksgiving to you in a short little note with the $20 tucked inside along with your name tag.  When I walked into Walmart, I saw you working your lane.  You smiled gently when you saw me coming realizing that I had found your name tag and you looked a little puzzled when I handed you a sealed envelope. I quickly exited before you had a chance to open it and I just prayed that somehow you would know that there is a God and through our little exchange that He cares for you. 

I hope I see you again on my next visit.
Kindest Regards,

Patty

No comments: