Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dirty Laudromat = Unexpected Blessing

My wash machine is broken.  Not a good time when J is still unemployed and we are trying to find ways to cut back and stretch what we have.  It was a hand-me down and I'm sure served two families well so repairing it probably wouldn't be smart.  The salesman at Sears knew I was serious when I said I want the bottom of the line Kenmore.  There was no talking me up a model so one will be delivered from Sears on Monday but it's Saturday and I haven't been able to do wash in five days.  With four near adult bodies, that's alot of backup so tonight I loaded up the car and headed to the dreaded dirty, filthy laudromat thinking I would catch up some reading with my little friend, Kindle.  After I got all loaded into four machines, a man walked in with two laundry bags taller than he was, filled with dirty dog kennel stuff.  I don't like to think who used these machines before me and I was happy I didn't follow him.  Although I love dogs, the stench was apparent as he loaded the machines more than full.  He had the remnants of a mullet with a gregarious smile.  His personality oozed of joy even loading his laundry, talking about his kennel and relaying stuff about his friends.   I knew that my Kindle was going to wait; this man was all about friendship and affecting whoever he came into contact with and I was close in proximity and his newest best friend.  He was definitely a man of great faith and attributed all that he was to God and wasn't ashamed in anyway to do that.  As we changed out washers to dryers and discussed everything from building kennels to soap suds, through the conversation he gleaned that J was unemployed and looking for a job.  I hoped I conveyed back to him a sense of peace and serenity waiting on God (at least that's what I thought I should and hoped I did)  Inbetween loading dryers, that's when he suggested it.  "Let's just pray right here, right now for your husband's job situation" and he grabbed my hand.  Amidst the hum of the dryers, two strangers who believed in a God so much bigger than either of us.  His pray was simple, conversation with the Father.  A simple prayer, overwhelming peace, joy filled the laudromat greater than the stench of the dog laundry.   I laughed out loud.  We both marvelled at an opportunity that only God could orchestrate.  I wept driving home.  I thought I was going to a dirty, filthy laudromat and there God met me where I was, sort of like he did when he came to a dirty, fithy manger and met man were we were.  Amazing God how can it be that you would be so interested in me.

2 comments:

suzie said...

Thank you for sharing and being open and receptive to our precious Lord through any situation.
It is a joy to see how He encourages.
You are a joy!! Suzie

Penny McC said...

It makes me think of that song, "What if aGod eas one of us." What a great experience.