Monday, March 28, 2011

Hit in the Head!

Ever been “hit in the head?” I have physically been hit in the head with a full-swing of a golf club. It’s not a pretty sight being taken to the hospital on a stretcher with blood running down your face. Recently, I was “hit in the head” mentally which was a good wake-up call for me. A constant breath prayer that God has put into my heart is to “entrust me, God with someone who I can show your love.” This was my prayer once again on a recent Saturday morning as I headed out to do my weekly grocery shopping at Super Walmart. I consciously walked through the store trying to make eye contact with people around me. You never know how conversations can get started over a fruit selection or commenting about the price of milk! It was a quiet morning and besides engaging the check out person, conversations were about as scarce as good deal on gas (even in South Carolina!).

I pushed my loud cart (you know the one where you just swear they put one square wheel and three round ones just to irritate the customers) to my car. As I unloaded my groceries into the trunk, my back was turned to the cars passing slowly by looking for an empty spot to park. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a white car moving very fast towards my parking area. With my back still to the cars, I heard a loud irritating voice cry out, “Can somebody help me, can somebody please help me!” I quickly turned around startled, overextending my neck to see who was speaking and to whom he was addressing his pleas! There was an older white car right beside me and I noticed first in the backseat was a toddler boy strapped into his car seat. His father was clenching the steering wheel with both hands as he stared with frustration straight ahead. Because he had not made eye contact with me, I instantly glanced around to see WHO he might be talking to and quickly realized that I was the only person within ear-shot of his pleas.

Funny how you pray that God would entrust you with someone and then when that voice comes shouting your way, you wonder if the call is for you. “What type of help do you need, sir?” I cautiously proceeded. He explained that he had forgotten his wallet and had been up to the Valero gas station nearby. The people there had accused him of pan handling using his toddler in the backseat. He clarified his need. “Do you have some money to help me buy a couple gallons of gas?”

I quickly grabbed seven loose singles in my purse and by now he had gotten out of his car which made me a little uneasy. He waited by his car and didn’t make any movement towards me. I walked to his car and pushed the singles into his hand and said “I want you to know that this money is from God. He heard your plea and is answering your need.” He reached to hug me and once again, my uneasiness was probably as thick as fog, although I patted his back. “What’s your name?” I quickly asked learning from previous lessons that your name is so important. “Glen, my name is Glen and I’m a nurse.” “Well, Glen, God bless you as you go on your way.”

Whether or not he was a con artist and just took me for my money, I do not know. But I do know that it was an opportunity and exercise for me to extend God’s love and I thank Him for it. Fortunately, for this “hit in the head” there was no blood running or stretcher needed. Just hope I remember this spiritual lesson as well as I remembered the physical one!



No comments: