Tuesday, January 15, 2013

An Amazing Journey - Part 2 - My God of Details

If you haven't read the blog "Waiting, Waiting, Waiting," please do.  It will give you a glimpse into a journey that we find ourselves in at this present time.  In the meanwhile, I've copied a post below from my writings when Taylor Anne turned 5.   The special part about this story and why I'm recycling it now, is we have found this sweet nurse and are now making plans to have coffee together so we can all meet.  I promise you that pictures will be posted when this happens!  For us, this a journey of an unknown path, most unusual at times and we are taking each day at a time and seeing where it leads.  Thanks for walking and praying for us.


My God of Details
Tonight as I write this column, I am reminded and celebrate the fact that my God cares about the details in our lives and in the lives of our children.   Five years ago this very night, we received a call that a baby girl had been born and we had been chosen as her parents.   We would be able to meet her the next day.  Our family had been put together by the very hand of God and that in itself was and is a reason to celebrate that God cares about details.  But this story and its details don’t end here.  He went on to show us how his very fingers cover all the loose ends of our lives.  Not much sleep was to be found after that exciting call.  It was much like a mother in labor (without the pain!), wondering what the baby would be like and what the baby would like look like.  Amidst the anticipation of the next morning when we would have our daughter in our arms, there was a small ache in my heart.   I knew the birthmother had chosen not to hold her baby for fear of bonding and I knew our baby would be in the newborn nursery all night, all alone, without being snuggled and cuddled like all the other babies.  It’s a very helpless feeling to have no control over someone who you already love so much.  In my despair I did what I thought was the “last resort” when actually it was the best thing I could have done—pray for my daughter.  It was probably my first prayer for her since she had entered this world and the prayer was quite simple—“please God take care of my baby.”  Two weeks later (which included two weeks of holding and cuddling my baby!), I was strolling her through the neighborhood when a neighbor came out to see Taylor Anne.  It was then that God revealed the answer to my first prayer and that He truly cares about details.  My neighbor shared that her closest friend was a baby nurse in the hospital where Taylor Anne was born.  Recently over lunch her friend was noticeably depressed and when asked why by my neighbor, this nurse shared the story of a young girl who had delivered a beautiful baby girl.  All the nurses knew this young girl was giving the baby up for adoption and knew she didn’t want to see or hear about the baby.  That night, late into the midnight hour, this nurse, my neighbor’s friend, held, cuddled and took care of Taylor Anne knowing that there was no one there to care for her.  The dilemma however was that she knew that the baby was going to be adopted the next morning.  She had been anxious because even though she was a professional and knew not to get attached to patients, she couldn’t get this beautiful baby out of her mind and wondered where she was in this world.  My neighbor pieced together the rest of the story for her nurse friend and for me.  That first night in the hospital, God sent an angel in the form of a nurse who felt compelled to cuddle a sweet baby and answer the prayers of a mother’s heartache.  It was and is a constant reminder that my God cares about the details in our lives and in the lives of our children, even when it’s totally out of our control.  And, once again, I am reminded that the best thing we can do is pray for our children.  We will be amazed at the hand of God at work!

No comments: